Sparkler Safety… Stick it in a carrot.


Remember, remember the fifth of November,
Gunpowder treason and plot.
We see no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

It’s the 5th November and here in the UK that means bonfire night! I love it! Crisp autumnal skies lit up by umbrellas of crackling, sparkly colours, crunchy leaves underfoot, bonfire toffee, hot chocolate around roaring fires, bobble hats and of course sparklers.

Unfortunately each year the romance of it all is shattered by reports of burns and horrific accidents, sparklers being one of the most common culprits. It doesn’t help that they look relatively innocent, but those pretty sparks cause the metal stem to heat up and hot metal burns.

However, exercising a little common sense means they can still be enjoyed, and enjoyed safely. My top tip is….

Stick it in a carrot!
I kid you not. A carrot does not conduct heat and is a heck of a lot easier for little hands to hold than the thin metal stem. It also keeps the sparkler further away from the body that is holding it.



As well as the carrot, taking simple, common sense precautions can be the difference between enjoying the festivities and spending the night in A&E. Have a water or sand bucket handy to stick used sparklers in. Always always ALWAYS supervise children. Always wear gloves and stay a sensible distance away from anyone else.

Enjoy the celebrations safely!